Saturday, August 9, 2008

TERM 3 - WEEK TWO

28th July - VC meeting with physics students from NC - they seem happy and feel supported. They have got used to just dialling into me at my home office now.

The storm we experienced last weekend has started to hit again, and is predicted to worsen during the week. The F2F meeting of the FarNet Principals was organised to be held at Northland College on Wednesday, 30th July, but we have decided it would be irresponsible to suggest them to travel through the storm so it will now be via VC.

29th July - After a few technical glitches, I have finally officially enrolled with Canterbury University. I am really looking forward to the semester, especially with working with Derek Wenmoth and Nicki Dabner. I am considering using my accounting class as the class, although I have some reservations, because of the size of it. I am sure I can find an ecolleague who wouldn't mind loaning me a great bunch of students.
The two papers I have enrolled in are:
EDIC 706 - The Global Classroom - The focus is to use a range of asynchronous and synchronous tools to deliver an online unit.
EDIC 716 - An Online Project - The focus is to set up an online class and teach a cohort of students for an eight-week period on a unit. I am thinking of doing the Treaty of Waitangi and incorporating a Maori focus and applying some of the focuses from the Ka Hikitia Strategy.

I am going to have to do something about this computer I am using though, it is becoming more frustrating by the day.

30th July -What a good decision about changing the meeting to a VC one. Out of the 9 Principals, 8 attended via VC and 7 out of the 9 schools were closed because of the weather. Was a great two hour meeting. Eddie and Grey Tuck (ex Principal of Kuruanui and Principal Mentor) spoke to the Principals about the future of the VLN. Reflection: This meeting really demonstrated the benefits of having VC in our schools. It was also an opportunity to help model good practice for running an online meeting. William Tailby (Principal of Kaitaia) chaired the meeting with Pateriki Toia (Principal of Taipa AS) opening and closing with a lovely karakia. We had a set agenda (which had been agreed upon at the Executive Management meeting the previous week) and I had sent out a powerpoint to the Principals prior to the meeting that helped the meeting flow well. It also provides them with something they can speak with their SLT about to inform them.

I always find it difficult to minute a meeting that I am either chairing or participating in, so I asked one of the Principal's PA to minute it. This was a great opportunity for her to get a clear understanding of FarNet, as she is responsible for the financial accounting for the fundholder school. Beryl commented later on how informative the meeting was and how great the technology was. She said she started typing, then had to turn to shorthand. She sent me the minutes to check as she wasn't familiar with some of the terms referred to, and I have shown her how to post the minutes up on the FarNet site on the VLN.

1st August - Had a full class, apart from my young man from Invercargill. He started mid way through term 2 and I don't think he has been able to catch up. Must speak with Kymm (ePrincipal of SILC). I have got the document camera working and it is a good tool to use. We are now working on level 2 standards, as the majority of the class are Year 12 students. They have a good understanding about the fundamentals of accounting at level 1, so this was the plan. They are happy about this. We are going to have an extra class, more of a tutorial on a Tuesday from now on, and they will be expected to attend at least one of the classes a week.

No comments: